About Us: GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry. GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Role Summary: Responsible for providing legal advice to Human Resource and managerial personnel on US labor & employment matters. Will be primary focal point and provide support as needed for one or more GE businesses and with the L&E Business Partners. In addition, will partner with US L&E COE Litigation Counsel to manage litigation, ADR, and FEP matters, and with COE M&A Counsel to provide support on M&A-related activities for all GE businesses.
Essential Responsibilities: • Provide direct legal advice, counsel and training to Human Resource and managerial personnel on significant/higher risk US labor & employment matters, including employee discipline and terminations; restructuring/ reductions in force; wage and hour; discrimination and diversity; whistleblower/retaliation; equal pay; disability, FMLA and others leaves; employment offers/separations, etc. Work with HR and outside law firm partner to ensure that lower level/risk issues are being directed to and handled appropriately by outside firm
• Work with L&E business Partners on business-specific projects, audits, polices, and other material matters
• Work with L&E US COE Litigation Counsel to: handle federal and state EEO agency charges, including investigating claims, drafting position statements, responding to information requests, and representing GE at fact-finding conferences/hearings; handle ADR matters (steps I-III), including working with Solutions Administrator and Human Resources on responses to and coordination with claimants on steps I and II, drafting mediation statements and representing GE at step III mediations; litigate Step IV arbitrations, as appropriate (based on scope of issues, time commitment required, and preference of business) and/or manage outside counsel’s litigation of these arbitrations; respond to attorney demand letters and resulting investigations, and settlement discussions; work with FEP investigation COE by providing strategy and counseling to investigators throughout investigation process and reviewing final reports; conduct high level investigations, when necessary and appropriate; manage outside counsel on court litigations (and any other matters that are not handled in-house); leverage litigation tracking system to enable more efficient litigation management and trend spotting
• Work with L&E US COE M&A Counsel to provide advice and counsel on labor and employment related aspects of mergers and acquisitions
• Leverage outsourced Counseling Hotline to ensure in-house time is spent on highest value-added activities
Qualifications/Requirements: • Law degree from an accredited law school with a minimum of 5 years of experience at a large law firm and/or corporate legal department, with significant experience in L&E litigation and investigations
• Member in good standing of State Bar Association
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
Desired Characteristics: • Strong oral and written communication skills • Strong interpersonal and leadership skills • High level of influencing skills combined with an ability to build excellent working relationships (cross-functionally, globally and externally • Ability to deal effectively with people and work in diverse teams • Strong consideration will be given to existing GE Labor & Employment professionals
We are in the process of transitioning to an improved job application system and in the interim we are operating with two systems. Have your Job ID ready (from the email you received when you applied) to log in and check your application status.
Click the appropriate button. If you don't know your job ID, you can still check your status: use both buttons.