Lead Supplier Quality Engineering Specialist - Fabrication
Posted 2/13/2018 4:50:32 AM
Business Segment: Transportation Global Supply Chain
Location(s): India; Patna
About Us: GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry. GE Transportation, we move the world. We are a global digital industrial leader and supplier to the rail, mining, marine, stationary power and drilling industries. Our solutions help customers deliver goods and services with greater speed and greater savings using our advanced manufacturing techniques, industry expertise and connected machines. Established more than a century ago, GE Transportation is a division of GE that began as a pioneer in passenger and freight locomotives. That innovative spirit still drives GE Transportation today. It's the engine of change that puts us at the forefront of transportation technology, software, and analytics. And it's why we continue to find-and realize-the potential that keeps our connected world moving forward. The GE Transportation Global Headquarters is located in Chicago, Illinois. There are over 65 service sites worldwide.
Role Summary: The Supplier Quality Engineer is a key role in the GE Transportation Sourcing & Quality organizations & is accountable for: 1. Achieving Supplier Quality goals for assigned supplier base & commodity 2. Meeting sourcing goals across product group (Focused on Cost, Quality, Delivery) 3. Contributing to growth plans with existing & new suppliers 4. Working in a boundary-less manner with diverse global teams to achieve the above results
Essential Responsibilities: The Supplier Quality Engineer has to develop & maintain objectives to achieve the following responsibilities: 1. Accurate & rigorous evaluation of current and potential suppliers using multiple tools 2. On-time execution of New Component Introduction (PPAP) projects 3. Maintain & upgrade product & process quality at suppliers 4. Drive & ensure compliance to supplier facing processes (Audits, PPAP, CARs, SDRs, etc) 5. Identify & qualify new products & suppliers in the region to drive growth 6. Collaborate with other functions as required to execute PPAP projects 7. Develop positive relationships and work closely with Sourcing Leaders to manage and implement supplier/engineering changes, New Product Introductions etc
The details of the key processes are:
1. New Supplier Evaluation / on boarding: Rigorously execute the supplier evaluation process including quality & compliance audits/assessments to ensure that only appropriately qualified suppliers are taken through the process. Work with sourcing/commodity team to meet business objectives of new supplier addition.
2. Production part approvals: Have a sound understanding of the following: Drawings, specifications, PPAP Process, applicable tools (FMEA, GR&R, Control plans, Sampling, Capability studies, etc.) Understand & use tools rigorously to mitigate risk of non-conformant product from shipping from a supplier's facility. Train & drive suppliers to use our tools & upload objective evidence of PPAP step closure. Work closely with Engineering team to ensure adequate understanding of product risks & severities of failure. Lead robust root cause analysis & corrective actions as required. Work closely with Sourcing team to ensure PPAP timelines are adhered to & stated capacity is established
3. Audits (Process, Product, Quality systems, SRG/Compliance, 'Eyes always Open'): Obtain a sound understanding of GE expectations on audits. Conduct audits in keeping with good practices & publish professional reports in the appropriate system. Identify & communicate best practices/risks Work with supplier & other stakeholders to close findings & improve supplier processes
4. Problem-solving: Monitor Defects/DMRs'/Feedback for suppliers to identify any existing problems Use DMAIC methodology to identify & eliminate root cause sustainably on appropriate system
5. Participate in planning of supplier quality activities, share knowledge with team, training, etc.
All these responsibilities will need to be discharged in consultation with Pole Quality Leader, other SQE's & Sourcing team as appropriate.
Qualifications/Requirements: The candidate shall be a Graduate in Mechanical/Production/Electrical Engineering from a reputed institute & shall have a sound academic record.
The candidate shall have minimum 5 years of experience working in a similar profession & industry. (candidates with lesser experience may be considered with appropriate adjustment in role).
He/She needs to have a sound understanding of contemporary manufacturing, control and inspection technologies in following product groups/commodities. Expertise would necessarily include first hand work in these areas.
1. Machining: Processing parts using conventional & modern equipment Ability to understand & support supplier proposals on fixture design, process & equipment selection, operations & procedures, operator certification & qualification, Designing & validating measurement systems for attribute & variable measurement systems.
2. Fabrication: Light to heavy steel fabrication including welding Ability to understand & support supplier proposals on fixture design, process & equipment selection, operations & procedures, welder certification & qualification, designing & validating measurement systems for attribute & variable measurement systems
Desired Characteristics: 1. Prior work experience in a similar work environment 2. Knowledge of destructive & non-destructive testing methods in all of the above areas 3. Candidates with certifications in technology, quality systems, audit or testing areas can be preferred based on relevance of certification 4. Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt certification is preferred (GE Employees only). 5. Ability to cope with multiple complex situations daily
We are in the process of transitioning to an improved job application system and in the interim we are operating with two systems. Have your Job ID ready (from the email you received when you applied) to log in and check your application status.
Click the appropriate button. If you don't know your job ID, you can still check your status: use both buttons.