Location(s): United States; District of Columbia; Washington
About Us: GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry. GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Role Summary: A member of the Senior Leadership Team of GE’s Government Affairs & Policy (GA&P) function, this key position is responsible for coordinating the company’s engagement on US federal, state and local legislative issues.
Essential Responsibilities: The candidate will serve as the Company’s lead lobbyist with Congress, and a key advisor to the VP–Government Affairs and other senior Company leaders on legislative matters. Working in close partnership with his/her GA&P colleagues, the businesses and other relevant functional experts in the company, the candidate will identify, prioritize and lead GE Congressional engagement strategies to address and shape US legislative and policy developments and opportunities. He/she will have lead responsibility for corporate legislative issues, support the Company’s engagement on sector-specific issues with sectoral GAP team leaders. He/she will also function as the strategic leader of GE’s engagement with state and local elected officials, oversee the company’s compliance with political advocacy/lobbying disclosure and other legal requirements, play a leading role in the company’s political action committee, and direct our grassroots strategy. As with all GE’s government affairs positions, the candidate will also support GA&P priorities beyond legislative advocacy, and be responsible for contributing to the overall success of the GA&P COE.
• Function as the leader of the GA&P Legislative Advocacy team, managing a team of professionals in Washington and in key states, and leveraging a global team of regional and functional government affairs professionals in 32 countries;
• Serve as the company’s domain expert in legislative and state/local government issues, advising the VP for Government Affairs & Policy and other GE leaders on legislative issues;
• Identify developments, risks and opportunities that could impact GE, and devise and execute strategies to advance GE’s interests with respect to such developments, risks and opportunities;
• Undertake advocacy to relevant stakeholders in or relevant to Congress, state and local governments on issues of importance to GE;
• Coordinate the retention of external resources (e.g., consultants, trade associations, law firms) that may be retained to support GE’s legislative advocacy efforts; Develop a comprehensive strategy combining the use of various internal and external resources as needed.
• Represent GE, as appropriate, in external fora (e.g., trade associations) and drive activity on priority issues.
• 15 years’ experience in government affairs, ideally with experience in both government and the private sector;
• Demonstrated ability to develop and execute comprehensive strategies to lead and shape complex legislative, regulatory or policy initiatives; ability to develop game-changing solutions to GE matters.
• Significant domain experience in US legislative strategy and strong connectivity with relevant stakeholders;
• Experience managing teams and resources effectively within a large organization; Ability to influence internal constituents, business and government affairs, and partner effectively with their peers on GA&P, resources and initiatives.
Desired Characteristics: • Excellent written and oral communications and analytical skills;
• Demonstrated strategic thinking, including proven ability to prioritize, balance, and meet conflicting demands in a fast-paced environment;
• Proficiency in using Microsoft Office applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; and
• As with all GE GA&P positions, a demonstrated commitment to acting at all times with the highest integrity, including strict adherence to applicable laws and GE's values, which go beyond legal compliance.
Locations: United States; District of Columbia; Washington
We are in the process of transitioning to an improved job application system and in the interim we are operating with two systems. Have your Job ID ready (from the email you received when you applied) to log in and check your application status.
Click the appropriate button. If you don't know your job ID, you can still check your status: use both buttons.